Monday, April 20, 2009

Reflection----end of the term

1. What have you learned since September in Canadian Studies? (Or since you started to take the class)

I learned the explorations about John Cabot and Jacques Cartier from their countries to North west Passage. Both of them are brave and received gigantic achievements. John Cabot discovered the coast of the Newfoundland and the shore of Labrador. Also, he found a great quantity of abundant fish during the exploring witch called the cod. But a serious mistake of his life was he realized that the lands where he discovered were all the parts of Asia until he died.The other famous explorer is Jacques Cartier, he explored increasing amount of new lands for his country and edited the map of them. People could understand the topography of Northwest now, such as the "Gulf of Saint Lawrence".In addition, he leaded the fur trade for the business man for his country.Both of them contributed for their countries but also they created the conflict for the Native people, the land of native people became colonies for their countries. Also, we learned some details about those two main characters, such as the fur trade and the scurvy.After the exploration lesson, I learned "" What you think is what you see" ,including the flat earth and I did a discussion about human beings.Finally, we did a special performance about the Puppet show and tested our Viking ship. They are very creative way to show the understand about Canadian study lesson!

2. What is the most memorable lesson you remember? (if you weren't here, maybe at another school)

It must be the performance about the puppet show. It's a really creative way to show our understanding on the explorations. We chose John Cabot and thought about his experiences. We wrote the play by ourselves, every one in our group has humor and creative ideas about his experiences. What we said is brief but significant and it’s an easy way to practice English. We all feel happy when we saw the video of our performance. We tied the best to imitate the voice of man and other onomatopoeia. Cooperating with friends is very meaningful! I can't wait to show it to the class!!

3. Think about your life as a student here since September. Have you changed? How?

Absolutely------YES!!! For the beginning of the class, I felt little nervous because I realized all the lessons are difficult for me to learn, such as the Worldly Wise and the Crossroad Reading. Especially the Crossroad, I can still remember the first week when I read it. They are so depth! I have to spend nearly two hours to read it and answered the questions everyday!! It’s nearly drove me crazy. But now, after doing increasing amounts of essays and finished the provincial exams, it’s much easier for me to understand them than before. I can do it faster and get the ideas easier. The other transformation for me is typing essays. It's one of the most headache evens for me during the past years. I always afraid of staying in front of the computer and typed the essay before. I can’t use the keyboard well and the speed of my typing is just as slow as a snail. In order to finished the provincial exam, I practice typing every day. For now, it’s much faster than before!! All in all should thanks to the English 10 and Canadian study class!!


4. What is your goal for yourself by June? What is your plan to study?

I need to practice writing the essays especially the personal narrative. I knew this kind of essay is very important for English ten students if you want to get a higher mark. Also, I have to persuade myself to read poem. It’s really an ordeal for me. Every time I feel headache when I have to read it and answer the multiple choices. But actually, the poem is a graceful art so I hope to try my best to understand it first. This plan is my first step for June. I would finish the homework on time and check my blogger everyday.Then, I need to recite some vocabulary and read some high mark essays.Also, I want to challenge myself on finishing the bonus questions behind the crossroad narratives.I hope I could act as what I say.

5. What are you most proud of in school since September? Have you done your best?

I can feel my English level is increasing step by step since September that's what I most proud of myself. I knew I worked hard, I did homework every day and I never broke Ms. Chan's heart. I could write the essay with thoughtful ideas, that what I can’t do before. I'm not good at doing multiple choices after reading some difficult articles but at least I finished the provincial exams! That’s why I can improve my English. Even if I worked hard on learning English, but I know I haven't done my best. It's because I seldom win the bonus mark. I only did what I must complete but I seldom challenge myself.

Bonus

1. Is there anything else you want to tell me or reflect about?

I should change my habbit...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Nina,

    I can always rely on you to be amazing! I know you are improving. I see it! I read it! I hear it! You were a little shy in the beginning, but now you are a lot more confident than before. I am reading your writing and you have improved so much! I can feel you English improve as well! Look at the reflection you have written! It's SO thoughtful and insightful!

    I know you can do it. I really believe you can. You can be super excellent. Be confident. Don't worry about what others will say or do. You are amazing and you have so much talent.

    I watch you and your team of girls. You girls are AMAZING! You have such teamwork. It is such a positive group. I can't believe it's been seven months? I can't believe I have taught you only for so little.

    Challenge yourself. I see the potential and the excellence in you. Don't give up! Don't give up at ALL! You truly can be one of the top students in the class.

    See you tomorrow,

    Ms. Chan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ms.Chan!!
    I'm so powerful now!!

    ReplyDelete