Tuesday, May 5, 2009

After Port Royal - Champlain Continues



THE FOUNDING OF NEW FRANCE
(Adapted from Page 226-227 of your textbook)

Questions(Please use complete sentences for full marks)

1. Find a map of the St. Lawrence River. Explain what you see in the picture in 3-5 sentences.

Based on the map, I can discovered the parts of Great Lakes in Canada.The Great Lakes are separated to two main parts. The one that is drawing to a inclines rectangular reveals the St.Lawrence River.For this part, I can see that the River passes through Septiles, Tadoussac, Quebec City, Trois-Rivieres and Cornwall on the right way. Also, the St.Lawrence River includes Gaspe, Rimouski, Montreal and Massena on the right side. There fore, I can see that the St.Lawrence is really strenghth.

2. Find a photograph of the St. Lawrence River you like. Explain what you see in the picture in 3-5 sentences.





I see an amazing sky in the picture. The clouds are covering the sky by their grey body.Looking forward at the horizontal.The line is brighter sparkling due to the sky! The clouds is scorching by the sunset but looked like roasting by the horizontal line. The lightness is reflected on the level of the St.Lawrence Lake. The color of the waving ripples become wine-red!!!! How wonderful sight of the picture!!!

3. Why did Champlain choose to use a river for transportation? Explain in 3-5 sentences.

It’s because using river is the only way for the people to transport goods at that present. In the past, there are no cars, planes or trains to help people transport what they want, so they could only use the traditional way----SHIP! Furthermore, using river is very convenient way. Champlain can put enough commodities on the ship disposable. It can also save some money than transport goods on the road.

4. Find a picture of Champlain's habitation at Quebec. Explain what you see in 5-8 sentences.

What an amazing apartment house it is!! Can you believe it has been built more than hundred years? The style of the habitation is excellent. The main parts of the habitation are the three houses which have the chimneys and giving off the steam. There has a little French flag on one of them. Beside the main houses, there is a garret with three windows. The habitation is a great stature!



5. The fort was a natural fort because Quebec had towering cliffs.

a.Find a picture of towering cliffs in Quebec. Search in Google using "Quebec and towering cliffs".














b. Why are the cliffs a natural fort? Explain in 3-5 sentences.


The energy of the nature created those towering cliffs. They have been swashed more than millions time. The cliffs are near the ocean, so their edges must been eroded again and again during the millions years. Now, the dramatic surrounding landscapes were formed by the ocean. They are such towering and splendors!

6. What did you learn today? Explain in 5-8 sentences.
I learned the cities and regions where near the St.Lawrence River. Also, I learned how to observe a map.It's not an easy job for me, I always become crazy when I read it. But I have to persuade myself to put my heart into it and now I can understand what does the map reveals to me. I searched for Champlain's habitation, so I knew what the ancient house looked like in the western country. In addition, I found some pictures about the cliffs and I learned they are made of nature. If I could see the real cliffs one day, I would understand how important I learned today.


Bonus1. There is a moat around Champlain's habitation. Why is that important?

The moal can protect the habitation from enemy or casual visitors. The Champlain is a exploer, so the moral provides him the condition to travel by ship convienent.The majestic moral can also build up a fantastic sight for the habitation.
2. Can you find a picture of a moat? Post it.



No comments:

Post a Comment